Feb 06 2019 0 Comments
Hey New Mamas!
I'm going to let you in on the biggest secret about being a first time parent. This is going to sound crazy given that you've only recently embarked on this beautiful and unbelievably complicated journey of motherhood, but here goes, use common sense, trust your instincts and do what's right for you and your baby. Yes, it's that simple.
Becoming a mother comes with the largest rush of love ever felt for another human, it's absolutely terrifying. You want to be the best mama possible to this new person, your baby! But what are the best practices?
Please enter: A shit ton of contradicting information.
- Breast is best.
- Fed is best.
- Don't co-sleep because you will either suffocate your child, or he will be sleeping in your bed until he leaves home.
- Co-sleep - otherwise, how will you ever form an attachment with your child and have her know she can trust you?
- Don't introduce strawberries or peanuts until your child is 1.
- Introduce any possible food allergy at 6 months.
- Don't put rice cereal in your child's bottle.
- Put rice cereal in your child's bottle! It will fill them up.
- Let your child cry it out, that's the only way to have him sleep through the night.
- NEVER let your child cry it out, you will scar her for life!
- Your baby must sleep on his back.
- Only put your baby to sleep on her stomach.
- Feed your baby handmade pureed foods and introduce no more than 2 a week, staggering the introduction of a new food by at least 4 days.
- Give your baby the option of little soft pieces of food that way he decides what he likes or doesn't like, when he's full and he won't become obese.
And the list continues....
Mother's are ALWAYS preaching about how we must support one another because no one else except for our exclusive group knows how damn hard this is, yet we are the FIRST ones to judge one of our own for her "shortcomings"...
- Did you hear that she co-sleeps with her baby and is practicing attachment parenting? That's code for "your baby is never leaving home".
- Do you know that mom lets her baby cry it out? Someone should just sign that child up for therapy now!
We all have the same thing in common when it comes to our babies; we want what's best for them and we'll do whatever it takes to make sure that happens. I didn't let our first in bed with us because I was so nervous I would smother him I couldn't sleep. With my second, he only wanted to sleep on his side, that freaked me out, so he slept with us for 6 months. What worked with one baby, didn't work with the other, but guess what, both of them sleep through the night and are doing just fine.
My advice to you is please don't let someone make you feel like you're failing as a mother, because you're giving your baby the most important thing it needs, love....unless you're subjecting your baby to screaming at tummy time, then you're definitely cruel...😉